[Lincs] Archive is private from now on!

Keith Marshall keith.d.marshall at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 14 19:48:27 BST 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 12:52 pm, Marc Mc Guinness wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > It also makes the LUG look like a "private garden" with high fences to
> > hide you from outsiders. No-one can see what they're stepping into
> > before joining. You seem a friendly bunch, so you shouldn't be ashamed
> > of advertising yourselves.
>
> Ack.
>
> >> If I notice an interest in making our mailing list available for
> >> public search engines I'll change that setting immediately.
> >
>> > Check your webserver logs and see how many search engine robots visit
> > you.
>
> What I meant was interest by subscribed members. Not interest by search
> engines.

Sorry Marc.  I have to agree with MJ here.  As a subscribed member, I don't
find myself searching the archives much -- indeed, I don't think I ever have;
unlike the more technical lists, to which I also subscribe, there is limited
content which I feel the need to review after I have deleted the original
posting.

Allowing non-subscribers free access to the archive helps publicise the LUG,
and may encourage some new members to join.  IMHO, those who refuse to join
because the archive is public are being rather narrow minded -- there are
better ways to deal with spam than simply cutting oneself off from the online
community!

Best regards,
Keith.