[Lincs] Ubuntu CDs

iain baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:51:23 GMT 2005

Chris Lingard wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 13:57, Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>As part of my ongoing project for the LLUG website I've been looking
>>into a number of different distros. I'm currently in the process of
>>finishing part two - where I cover Ubuntu (unashamedly my favourite
>>distro ever) and Knoppix, this will be published in the next week or so.
>>
>>Thanks to Ubuntu's scheme of shipping official CD's free of charge I
>>will very soon have 10 copies of Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) to give
>>away. These CD's are due to arrive mid April so if you would like a copy
>>please let me know via email.
>>As the LLUG mailing list has been so quiet later I thought it may be a
>>good idea for everyone who is still receiving mails from the LLUG list
>>and who are still interested in the LUG to reply back stating so - just
>>a head count.
>>With Marc in Germany and Iain having to deal with real-life issues (nice
>>to see you back Iain) interest in the LUG seems to have dropped to a
>>near non existent level... it's time to get some impetus back!
>>To this end I want to get into motion the idea of a LLUG specific distro
>>(this was mentioned last year in a couple of posts - Chris Lingard in
>>particular seemed to be interested) back on track - any ideas,
>>suggestions or offers of help would be gratefully received!
>

> Could soon make a boot CD; got two out there now; one for normal x86 LFS
> and another for AMD 64.  Got this box about 6 months ago.
>
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
> cpu MHz         : 2403.093
> cache size      : 1024 KB
>
> Got a Seagate 200Gb disc and 512Mb memory
>
> So just had to make a 64 bit system, and a boot CD.
>
> Just give me an idea of what you want on it, and I will see what I can do.
>
> Chris

what do people see as vital software to include? and who do you want to
see provide them?

also what are peoples ideas on GUI's? do we want Gnome/KDE or do we want
to go for something a little less mainstream, like ratpoison or PMW or
Flux box etc.??

suggest away people..

My vote goes for one of the more cut down GUI's but specific choices are
best left to people with more experience with them...

and i would put forward for inclusion
office apps  - OOo
Web browser - Mozilla Fire fox
Email - Thunderbird
Chat package - (i have only really used Kopete so i am not best
positioned to choose)
DVD/Media Player - (also have limited experience with variations)

any other suggestion???