[Lincs] NewB Question: Ease of Partitioning for dual boot XP/Fedora 8

Philip Newborough mail at philipnewborough.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 23:22:13 GMT 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 7:33 PM, Bob Stoner <bob.stoner at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Please let me set the scene: my son has just installed Fedora 8 onto his PC.
> I am taken by the sheer simplicity of Linux. I have XP loaded on my older
> PC. I have checked the Partition through Disk Management and found that I
> have 7.8GB as Backup on FAT32 and 178GB under NTFS. I would like to first
> partition the drive to allow Linux to be loaded and then have the ability to
> dual boot the system. I already run FireFox and Thunderbird to give me the
> ability to use cross-platform applications.
>

> Can I use the partitioner within the Fedora setup to complete the partition
> required? I am unable to go the full hog at present due to the compatibility
> issues with the School I work for.
>

> If you are able to offer a response, may I please politely ask that you
> recall what is was like as a NewB so many, many years ago J.
>

> Thanks for being able to help NewBs.
>

> Cheers
>

> Bob

Hi Bob

Do you know the name of the disk partitioner provided by Fedora? If
it's GParted, you should be able to use the tool to non-destructively
resize your NTFS partition and then use the free space for your Linux
installation. No need to partition the free space before running the
install as it will/should do it for you.

Cheers

Philip