[Lincs] NewB Question: Ease of Partitioning for dual boot XP/Fedora 8

Iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 00:53:04 GMT 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 7:33 PM, Bob Stoner <bob.stoner at btinternet.com> wrote:

>  [snip]
>
> Can I use the partitioner within the Fedora setup to complete the
> partition required?

I believe Fedora uses GParted so as Philip said, the installation process
will allow you to partition the disk and will handle setting up the dual
boot. just make sure you pay attention to all the options... many a time i
have installed distros and missed the option i wanted to play with because i
scanned the screen and just clicked 'next' without really reading it.

As with all re-partitioning exercises there is no 100% guarentee, so i would
strongly advise backing up the data held on your xp partition before
resizing it.

> I am unable to go the full hog at present due to the compatibility issues
> with the School I work for.
>
> I hope you don't mind me asking, but what compatibility issues? the most
common compatibility issue is one of office suites, in which case may i
suggest you look at Open Office ( http://www.openoffice.org/ ) it is
included as standard in Fedora, and is capable of reading and writing
microsoft word, excel, and power point files... i believe - although dont
hold me to this, the latest version also handles access databases.

That said i would still recommend dual booting for at least a trial period
to ensure you have all the usability you need. If you encounter any problems
please feel free to contact the mailing list again.

> If you are able to offer a response, may I please politely ask that you
> recall what is was like as a NewB so many, many years ago J.

 Wasn't all that long ago for some of us  ;)

iain