[Lincs] Resources for Learning Linux in Lincoln

john wilson dr_barry_john at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 17:18:23 BST 2007

Hi Phillip

I went to Waterstones in Lincoln recently to buy a book on Linux and they did not have one - not even a Unix book! My eldest son is a Linux whizz in the Northeast, I will ask him if there are any academic courses he knows of.

Dr J Wilson

Phillip Taylor <Phillip.Taylor at bcs.org.uk> wrote: Hi Guys,

I want to start doing some certification so I can develop a more rounded knowledge of Linux as well as using this certification as a stepping stone to a more active Linux based job.

Ideally I want to do an RHCT and an RHCE. I was hoping someone could tell me what resources are available for learning Linux in Lincoln(shire).

I think the general route taken by most who are accredited is to buy the books online and then spend a massive amount of cash on a week long intensive Linux course before sitting the exam. Generally I assume it's something like this:  http://www.xpertise.co.uk/courses/course.aspx?pageID=5508

Is anyone teaching Linux based skills at the college or Uni because I can't see any official courses on offer? It would be a real benefit to me if they were. I prefer face to face learning than memorising books. I think Thursdays meeting with the LUG is going to be interesting and it will of course be great to get more people using Linux but I think there's a real worth and real community value to build a LUG that actively has a roadmap for developing local newbies into certified Linux admins. The LLUG already has a band of Linux enthusiasts and we of course provide a good service by encouraging non-users to switch to Linux but if the LLUG could provide a good support framework for developing people like me ( I.T. staff who actively want to use Linux in a corporate environment) then I think it could become a very popular group.

Before I continue let me say I'm not preaching or attempting to direct the aims of the LLUG in any given direction. This is all just a suggestion driven by my own desire to have a service like this. I'm in a position where I feel the LUG could potentially help me. Here are some actual practical ideas that I'm thinking of:

1) The LLUG's website would provide links and information on recommended reading and books available from Amazon with 1 to 1 mappings between the exams and the books which help you pass. An unofficial guide to attaining the said qualification.

2) The LLUG could simplify and apply "local context" to information about the courses. Where the closest place to sit an RHCT exam is, how much it costs, how to get there from Lincoln etc.

3) Local members with the desired qualifications, Linux+, RHCE etc could give informal seminars on the contents of the course, what to expect. Perhaps a few could just give some lectures from a brief set of important topics required for the exams. The same kind of format we're having on Thursday but geared more on "explaining complicated topics" or "preparation for the exams". I'm not talking about full college course of program on a regular basis. But perhaps eventually ;-)

4) Informal online chats or face to face meetings between groups of members where those in the area who want to the qualifications can meet up, test each other. When I finish reading a book it's hard to know if i'm ready for an exam on it. Group meet ups like that may prove insightful as to whether you do have the knowledge to do it or if an area of knowledge your poor in is going to let you down. Talking with other people about to sit an exam or people who have just finished sitting the exam can offer help your understanding of what's required.

5) Lists of local companies who actively using Linux and look for Linux experienced professionals. It may even perhaps be interesting to find out how much demand, if any, there is for Linux as an I.T. skill in Lincolnshire.

Unfortunately everything I've said above sounds like really hard work but I thought I'd say what I was thinking out loud and perhaps there are more people who feel this way. People's who careers have stagnated and who want to get back on track...or students, new to the area who are looking to take some actual practical certification to go with their theory driven computer science degrees. If we can engage companies in this and offer a service to the local community I'm sure there is some money to be made! All you'd need is the qualification already, powerpoint and a free evening for a few weeks.

Once again, any thoughts on this would be interesting and if you feel like you'd benefit from the some of suggestions above why not let me know.

Thanks

Phillip Taylor