[Lincs] Hdparm commands

Chris Adams chrisa100 at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:06:47 UTC 2008

Does anyone have a script for auto spinning down drives using hdparm ?

I need ro run a nfs server, which inturn connects to my http server mounted
over nfs.

I cant install the disks directly onto the server because it is a laptop
under my bedand there IDE drives. I use a laptop because its quiet and
efficent.

The disks arent going to be accessed that often (1 hour a week or so). So i
was wondering if it was possible to turn them off because there so noisy.

So my question is. If I mount an lvm drive over nfs can I turn those disks
off when there not used, without it being unmounted. I cant use cron,
because i dont know when i need it. I was thinking i could use an cgi script
but it would be a little long winded.

Thanks

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
mybytenetworks.com. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability