[Lincs] old debates re-ignited - plus some other stuff

Iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:28:36 UTC 2009

hey all...

ok I have been very busy - that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it...
but I have finally got round to re-initiating the lincs lug website...
hopefully all the important stuff will be appearing in my mailbox
soon.

Some of you have shown interest in helping with the website in the
past so if all goes to plan you should be getting log-in details of
your own sent through... if you get sent log in details and no longer
want to play with the website dont feel obligated... just throw them
away - it's never about pressure!

Now... I'm not going to pretend it's completely out of the blue, some
of this has been prompted by reading LXF this month... however it is
stuff that has all been mentioned before over the years so i thought
it should probably be addressed.

Lincs LUG is a geographically large LUG, and that has resulted in very
few (3 if i remember right - and one was a joint BCS do that they
organised) real life meetings... it has been proposed before that we
split down into areas, and although it usually gets strong arguments
for both sides nothing gets agreed so we just carry on as usual...

I propose that Lincs LUG become a parent LUG - which helps co-ordinate
cross lincs efforts between smaller lugs... at the moment that cant
happen because they dont eist, but they can quite easily. There are a
couple of options - either we set up seperate lugs for Lincoln,
Boston, Grimsby etc etc, and use Lincs purely as a co-ordination and
cross communication platform, making the new website about spreading
the word about how to contact the smaller lugs and what they are up
to, as well as co-ordinate bigger projects that all the lugs can join
in (maybe an annual RLM)  or we can keep Lincs LUG as the 'official'
lug and have a Boston Branch, a Skegness Branch etc, all contained
within the lincs lug site and umbrella... and have everything across
all branches still dealt with en masse as now, just use the branches
for local RLM's

What do you think??
if we do go down this route (either option) i would strongly recommend
speaking to Scundog and asking them to join the umbrella??

what do you say??

Also, does anyone have a preference for some kinda lug calendar,
days/months that they'd like to do things as a LUG... days out, nights
in, pub meets, presentations, anything at all??  i'll be honest i
kinda miss the geeky company  :-p

anybody else have any suggestions or thoughts??

iain