[Lincs] BBC Radio Linconshire

Me drfc2u at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 10:41:43 UTC 2009

I wasn't able to listen to the original broadcast so I don't know what was mentioned, so if I repeat anything here feel free to tar and feather me. My suggestions for the next broadcast are :

- Point out that different distributions of Linux, Yes there are many but there are a handful of main players.

- Using Linux equivalent Windows apps. Examples are Gimp for Photoshop, OpenOffice for MS  Office, the various media players, instant messengers, irc. These are the most popular apps of younger windows users.

- The fact that apps are free

- Many Windows users do use social networking sites and may be unaware that these are web based apps that will run in Linux. I know that sounds ridiculous but I have been helping a neighbour get to grips with the internet and have to keep explaining that he doesn't have to install anything to access each different website.

- For balance, Linux doesn't have the latest high spec games, although many games are available. Linux isn't suited to gamers........... yet.

- Point out the various desktops available to Linus users, KDE, Gnome, LXE, XFCE. Windows users don't get choices in this.

- Linux is more secure than Windows, there is no need for constant security updates

There will be many things I have missed but i'm sure others can come up with a few suggestions.

Andy