[Lincs] Waze

Iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:11:43 UTC 2010

Has anyone tried Waze? ( http://world.waze.com/ )
It is a Map/Sat Nav system for mobile devices (iPhone, Android, Windows
Mobile and Symbian) that is open source and community built.

It provides live traffic information, police speed trap locations, and road
work information based on user input - but the users also build the maps...
drive around with Waze switched on and it uploads your route, allowing you
to add or edit roads to create an accurate and free to access GPS map.

There doesn't seem to be masses of users in Lincolnshire so as a sat nav
system it isn't fully usable at the moment, but it is a way to contribute to
an opensource project, if you have never managed to find an easy way in.  I
have been playing for a couple of days, and the only problem I have found is
that me and my Girlfriend are mildly addicted to it, so will take detours to
make sure we are the first footprints in the snow...  i know it's sad, but i
recently got a hybrid car and we've also got addicted to trying to keep it
on battery power... maybe we need to find better games, oh well...

Just wondered if anyone from the LUG uses it, and what you think of it if
you have.

Iain