[Lincs] Lincs LUG: relaunch?

kevin.lee40 at ntlworld.com kevin.lee40 at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 17 23:33:32 UTC 2011

I'm in, it'll be nice to meet up...  especially if you've been baking !

I'm also in Lincoln.

From:   Rebecca Newborough <bobobex at bobobex.org>
To:     lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Date:   18/08/2011 00:11
Subject:        [Lincs] Lincs LUG: relaunch?
Sent by:        lincs-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk

Hi guys, and fellow Linux geeks!

Firstly, let me say hello to you all and introduce myself.  My name is
Becky Newborough, I live in Lincoln and I am a huge geek (I blame my
husband, Philip, for making me this way! :D)  I am @bobobex on
identi.ca and Twitter - look me up and check me out.

I have just returned from my 3rd annual OggCamp event and have been
inspired so much by what I saw and heard there that I want to give
something back to the Linux community.  I've joined the Lincs LUG
mailing list to reach out to you all with a proposition - do we want a
more active Lincs LUG?  I notice from the current Lincs LUG webpage
that we last had some news posted on 15th October 2009, and I know
that the last meet-up was on the 12th October 2007, as Philip attended
it - a joint event with BCS Lincolnshire branch held at Lincoln Uni.
How poor is that, that our LUG has contributed nothing for nearly 2
years and hasn't met up for nearly 4 years!

I am volunteering to change all of that and get our Lincs LUG up and
running again, but I need some input from you guys as to whether you
want this.  Whilst I am enthusiastic for this to happen, I am not
going to waste my time if I get no interest from the current members.
So, I have posted a few market research questions below for you to
respond to, if you can:

If a Lincs LUG were re-established, would you attend a regular meet-up?
What would you expect from a LUG meeting to make it worth your while
attending?
How regular would you want your LUG meeting and at what location?

What I lack in technical knowledge, I more than make up for in
enthusiasm and energy (and home-baking skills!).  Plus, I can always
drag Philip along to do the technical stuff!

Thank you for taking the time to read this - hopefully you can spare a
minute or two to respond.

Kind regards

Becky