[linux-sec-uk] Secure FTP

Simon Morris linux-sec-uk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 18:25:00 2003

[Wow the first question.....]

Hello there.

I working on a small business solution for a client that has one Dell
server to provide various networking services.

This server hosts their mail (Postfix,Courier-imap), Web (Apache,PHP),
Database (MySQL) and various other (BIND, DHCP, OpenLDAP)

All user accounts are LDAP based with the mail routing and
authentication tied in also.

They now need FTP services, which is where I start to sweat :-)

I have set aside a seperate disk partition just for the FTP data and I
plan to chroot this service under /ftproot/

Because the users home directorys contain their mail (Maildir/) I don't
want to provide FTP access to those directorys.

Is my plan of creating a seperate home directory under the chroot
(/ftproot/home/) for the users FTP space feasible, and does anyone have
a favourite secure FTP daemon with LDAP authentication.

Looking for ideas from someone with a similar setup really

Thanks

--
Simon Morris
smorris@batesuk.com