[linux-sec-uk] Secure FTP

Alex Hudson linux-sec-uk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 10:20:00 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:03:51AM +0100, James Fidell wrote:
> > think about running qmail by the way it's soo more secure, postfix really
> > does suck, let the flaming begin... :)
>
> I work with qmail a great deal and for some things it does make sense to
> use it, but for most people I recommend exim.  In my opinion it's just a
> better system for average everyday use.

I have to say I do prefer exim, but it is a very different system to qmail -
postfix is a lot better for comparison purposes.

I have used qmail in the past, although I try not to any more due to it's
non-freeness. I dislike its configuration system, but it is nice and
simple. Postfix is something I need to learn more about though, since it's
what I'm considering using at work (well, Kolab to be specific).

I was under the impression that the various 'security' levels of the
different apps was mostly similar - I know qmail has a rep for being
'secure', but I've never really seen anything that convinced me of that.
But then, I guess that's an argument more about how quantitively secure
apps are, and how you can measure that.

Cheers,

Alex.