[linux-sec-uk] Patching and Patching again

Vitor Ventura linux-sec-uk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 10:19:01 2003

Hello guys,

  This is impressive, every time a new bug appears, there we go again,
patching and patching, rushing things that might go wrong (and usualy =
do ).
What about tcpwrappers, source control, firewalls ? Do we really need =
have ssh,ftp,etc open to every body?
  Of course we shouldn't be to confident on these tools, but that =
should
give us enought time to think about the patching strategy, instead of =
just
blindly pathing everything. With my experience I have seem many of my
clients, with all this put into practice but internaly they don't =
protect
their servers, so they are infected by virus any way. Shouldn't this be =
the
time to change the paradigm? Shoulnd't we think in a diferente way of
implementing secure systems whithout the rushing?

=20
Regards
Vitor Ventura

Sia Portugal
Rua Apr=EDgio Mafra 17 - 2E
1700 - 051 Lisboa
Developing the infrastructures that enable your business =A9
www.siainternational.com