[linuxjobs] Cypher: help requested

Alasdair G Kergon agk at lug.org.uk
Mon May 31 00:11:14 UTC 2004

Perhaps someone with time on their hands is willing to reply,
maybe explaining the difference between encryption and compression,
and entropy etc.

Alasdair

----- Forwarded message from Allan Lewis <lastone at v21.me.uk> -----

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 19:15:30 +0100
From: Allan Lewis <lastone at v21.me.uk>
Subject: would appreciate your assistance
To: mailman at mailman.lug.org.uk

Sir or Madam,
I am a Linux user who is trying to contact programmers and
mathematicians within the UK Linux community to participate in the
development of a new software technology. I would very much appreciate
it if you could forward the following text to all the  UK LUG's for this
purpose.

Allan Lewis
lastone at v21.me.uk

#
To; secretary or organiser, LUG.

I would appreciate your assistance in circulating the following text
among your members, the reasons for which are self-explanatory.

#
A small number of programmers are needed to form the core-development
team for a new software technology.

This is substantially a mathematical work which involves the development
of a new and very powerful encryption engine. Briefly, the inspiration
for this followed an analysis of the present methods of preparing data
for transmission over the internet, and involves a number of logical and
mathematical routines which recode fixed-size binary packets in a
complex encryption process. The reason for doing this is that the cypher
occupies typically about 1% of the original, and the original data can
be reconstructed on the client with bit-perfect accuracy from the
cypher. (Theoretically, depending upon the processor available for
decoding, data-transmission could exceed 12GB/hour over the dial-up
connection, well above DSL).

It was originally intended that this work would be open-sourced until it
was realised that this same technology can be easily adapted for
uniquely powerful commercial encryption purposes, for development in
high-definition live-TV and video streaming, remote network data-storage
purposes, and even for embedded data-storage given that a flash memory
chip of 256MB could store up to 2 tera-bytesworth of cyphers, offering
the possibility of doing away with hard-drives altogether. As I am
reluctant to hand the technology over allowing already rich b******s in
computing to get even richer at my expense, I will be taking advice on
the licence.

I would like to hear from programmers here in the UK with mathematical
expertise, or from mathematicians who also program (Morris Dancers need
not apply), in particular from those used to system analysis and careful
planning (does anyone still flow-chart?) to take part in a long-term
project which could well have commercial overtones.

Allan Lewis
lastone at v21.me.uk
#

many thanks