[linuxjobs] Google, Dublin

Alasdair G Kergon agk at lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 23:09:14 UTC 2004

Name: Marianne Dove
Job: www.google.com
Company: Google
Telephone: 650-623-6814
Email: mdove at google.com
Subject: Job posting for Google position in Dublin?
Message: Hello,
My name is Marianne Dove.  I?m a recruiter for Google.  Google is
currently seeking several Unix/Linux experts for a couple of positions
in Dublin, Ireland.  I was wondering if it would be possible for you
to post this information or let your members know about this
opportunity.    If so, I?ve pasted the 2 job descriptions below.

If it?s not possible, I understand.  I don?t mean to crowd your
technical list with a job posting, but this is such a great
opportunity, and Google is seeking the very best Engineers from around
the world and I feel there must be dozens of linux experts out there.
I?m hoping I can find some of them on your list via my posting.
Thank you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

Marianne Dove
Google Recruiter

Mountain View, California
650-623-6814
mdove at google.com

Site Reliability Engineer
Google
Location: Dublin, Ireland
-We are looking for a detail-oriented systems professional, seasoned
Unix jockey, Internet services architect, database whiz, performance
analyst, or software engineer, at the top of their game.

-Can you help achieve increased Availability, Reliability, Uptime, and
Quality? (for our systems and services, naturally) Site Reliability
Engineers (SREs) are involved in all aspects of running our site, from
design to debug, from architecture to applications. Google SREs spend
their time troubleshooting problems in large-scale clustered
application service environments, and focus on making continual
improvements to our services.
-Looking for the next cool problem to
solve, in a fast-paced and  engineering-driven environment?

-Can you write a script or application that performs practically the
entire job you once held earlier in your career?

-Does your idea of a good time involve taking things apart just to see
how they work? Are you successful putting them back together when
you're done?

-This position requires a passion for problem solving, deep
understanding of networks, operating systems, multi-tiered Internet
services, and the ability to learn new applications and concepts
quickly. Strong scripting skills are essential.

-As an SRE, you will wear many hats: performance analyst, service architect, system/database administrator, capacity planner, tools developer, monitoring expert, and technical evangelist, for all components of Google's Ads services.

I will take the guess work out of whether or not you are a fit!!!
If you can answer yes to all of the following questions, you are a possible fit, so please apply!
1.	Do you have at least a BS or BA in computer science or a related technical field?
2.	Do you have 3+ years of experience as a Unix/Linux Systems Administrator or networking architecture experience?
3.	Do you have experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment?
4.	Do you have experience in Python programming or Perl or scripting?
5.	Do you have experience with programming and troubleshooting skills in C/C++ and or Java?
6.	Do you have excellent written and verbal communication skills?
7.	Have you been at a majority of your companies for at least 3 years or more (this question does not apply to contractors)?

If you have answered yes to all of the above questions, please read on and apply for this position!
Please be sure your resume clearly reflects the experience asked about  above.
For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII) or HTML version of your resume to :  mdove at google.com
Important: The subject field of your email must include
Site Reliability Engineer - Dublin, Ireland)
Site Reliability Manager
Position based in Dublin, Ireland

We're looking for a highly technical, hands-on Engineering or
Operations Manager to lead a team of 4-10+ Google software engineers
and sysadmins in Site Reliability. Site Reliability teams are directly
responsible for Google's stellar uptime record, and act as the
guardians and custodians of Google's user-visible services. In the
manager role, you will be responsible for ensuring that Google users
can always reach and use all of the services under your team's care.

Requirements:
?	Very high technical competence and strong academic record.
?	Currently holding a very senior or Director level role.
?	4+ years of relevant hands-on technical experience, and a record of individual technical achievement.
?	3-10+ years of relevant experience managing software development and/or operations teams.
?	Strong project management skills, especially in deploying live end-user systems.
?	That rare mix of intelligence, integrity, domain knowledge,
verbal agility, and diplomacy which allows you to rapidly earn the
trust of technically-astute teams across the company.
?	BA/BS in CS preferred; MS / Ph.D. a plus.
For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII) or HTML
version of your resume to mdove at google.com  Important: The subject
field of your email must include Site Reliability Manager ? Dublin,
Ireland.