[linuxjobs] reverse job offer (Not a job offer, sorry)

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri May 5 19:35:42 UTC 2006

"Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> writes:

> I have a few quiet weeks coming up where I would be able to take on
> some days of Linux systems admin or systems architect work.
> Especially work that involves mail systems, particularly resolving
> spam and virus problems, or solving management problems with groups of
> machines.

I'm afraid this is not a job offer but I have seen this message once or
twice and wondered if you would object to having me pick your brain a
little.

I have a nice (well - working) mail system up and running. The only
thing it doesn't have is spam filtering because my past experience with
SA has left me feeling somewhat less than satisfied, so I would like to
ask your advice:

What system[s] would you recommend implementing/studying to tackle spam
and what sort of architecture would it fit in (ie. a filter as part of
amavis, a wholly separate machine, etc.)

For the record, we use ldap/postfix/amavis/clam/cyrus. Some people still
use Lookout but their Windows systems will disappear from under them one
day. The rest (apart from me) use Thunderbird.

I know you are looking for work in this field, so if answering these
questions (rather than, say, getting a contract from my employer) is
objectionable I will understand. If you do want a contract (bearing in
mind it may be little more than a short stint with apt-get) I can always
bring it up but I'm not paid enough as it is so I doubt you'd get a
reasonable offer.

One way or another I will implement something eventually, I am simply
hoping to get a head start studying the issue.

Thank you for your time.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely