[linuxjobs] [phil at hands.com: [Debian-uk] [Fwd: Any students looking for a small income for writing Free Software? (fwd)]]

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 22 01:46:57 UTC 2006

----- Forwarded message from Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> -----

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:42:12 +0000
From: Philip Hands <phil at hands.com>
To: Debian UK <debian-uk at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject: [Debian-uk] [Fwd: Any students looking for a small income for writing Free Software?
 (fwd)]
Cc: Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org>

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:22:22 +0000 (GMT)
From: Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org>
To: Philip Hands <phil at hands.com>
 (fwd)

Phil,

I've tried to post this to the debian-uk list however it doesn't like me
any more.

Please could you forward it to the list for me. Thanks.

Jason

UK Free Software Network (UKFSN) has reached the point where there are
consistent profits to be distributed.

It now seems to me that the idea of a grants programme in the format
currently in place (via AFFS) just isn't working for whatever reason.
Maybe it's because, as others have suggested, there just isn't enough
money to interest people at the moment.

Looking around at the more prominent people in the UK Free Software
communities (well the Linux communities anyway) it seems that almost all
became involved while at school/college/uni. Many if not all were writing
code for or otherwise contributing to Free Software projects.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the best way to hand out the
UKFSN profits is to offer part time employment for college/uni students to
do just that - write code or otherwise contribute to FS projects?

The amount of "pay" is £4680 per year (£390 per month). It's the level
just below the tax bracket so it wont be cut into by tax/ni.

I want to start from January with 1 student and I'd like the first student
to be someone who is already established as a Free Software developer or
contributor.

Assuming this works I expect to increase that to 3 students from September
- to co-incide with the new academic year. The intention is to increase
the number to 10 students by the start of the 2008/2009 academic year.

Is anyone involved in debian-uk interested in this or do you know someone
who would be suitable?

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98