[linuxjobs] Linux Systems Administrator

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Tue Aug 14 10:26:04 UTC 2007

Job Description:
================

We currently have a vacancy for a highly skilled Linux Systems
Administrator (permanent), to be based at our offices in central
Brighton, a stone's throw from Brighton station.

The successful candidate will join a team of three existing Systems
Administrators responsible for the management and upkeep of our live
infrastructure, including around 75 servers, comprising of web, database
and email clusters. They will also be involved in recommending and
implementing technologies to improve scalability, performance and
reliability. The role will involve liaising with Customer Support and
Development teams.

Skills Range:
=============

The successful candidate must be experienced working with Ubuntu/Debian,
Tomcat and MySQL in a multi-tiered, multi-server web application.

They must also have experience of Apache, Exim, TCP/IP, network security
and scripting (shell and one of Perl or Python). You should also have
knowledge of working with large scale systems and modern techniques for
horizontally scaling web applications.

Additional consideration will be paid to candidates with knowledge of
BGP, Cisco or Juniper routers, VLANs, Xen, DNS using Bind, IMAP using
Courier/Dovecot, server monitoring using Nagios and Munin, Java, SSL and
public key encryption, LDAP, Linux virtual server, automatic server
installation using debian-installer pre-seeding and puppet, Debian
packaging and server hardware. This is an excellent opportunity to learn
any missing skills in an enterprise-level setting.

You need to be comfortable working in an environment of rapid
development, within a multi-disciplined technical team, and be expected
to actively contribute to the evolution of working practices and
processes.

Salary:
=======

Up to £30K (depending on experience).

About Digitalbrain:
===================

Formed in 1997, Digitalbrain has become one of the
leading providers of learning platforms and portal architecture to
public organisations.

Working closely with several key regional broadband consortia, some 50
Local Authorities and private sector organisations, Digitalbrain has
been at the forefront of providing e-learning solutions within the
education sector since its inception.

Our core product, Learning Manager, provides schools with an online
learning platform. Learning platforms are increasingly being used by
schools to help address the wide range of government initiatives, such
as personalised learning, social inclusion, increased parental
involvement and addressing the 14-19 agenda.

Key stats about us:

 · 99% of our business is in the education sector
 · Work with some of the world’s leading publishers to integrate quality
   content with our learning platform
 · Design and develop our products in consultation and conjunction with
   our clients within the education sector
 · Typically had all clients from 4-6 years, with a loyal and growing
   userbase
 · Offer a great mix of education and technology
 · 25+ highly skilled and motivated staff - all based in central Brighton

Additional Information:
=======================

Previous applicants need not apply. Strictly no agencies please!

How to apply:

If you feel you have the necessary qualities and skills
then please email us your CV with a short covering letter (including
salary expectations, whether you’re applying for a contract and/or
permanent position and where you found this job advertisement).

--
David Pashley
david at davidpashley.com

David Pashley