[linuxjobs] Support Engineers at ApplianSys (Coventry, UK)

Richard Wall m-lists at the-moon.net
Thu May 29 15:01:32 UTC 2008

On 5/29/08, Ottavio Caruso <3tzdetl02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> I applied last week attaching a CV in strict xhtml. I was replied that
>  you couldn't open the attachment (obviously using IE) and that
>  ApplianSys only accepts applications in Word format,

Ottavio,

I guess this isn't the place for a discussion of the job application
but I think I do need to answer your comments.

You provided a link to your web based CV, with a password to reveal
all the details. When we enter the password and submit the form, we
get the following error in Firefox, IE and Opera:

{{{
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://cv.awardspace.co.uk/en.php
Line Number 156, Column 37:    <dd>***** & ****<br />
}}}

I can guess what the problem is here, but the lady who is dealing with
our recruitment is non-technical. I understand that she replied to
you, explaining that the page had an error and that is why she asked
you to resubmit your CV in MS word format.

If you can correct this error or send your CV in some alternative
format  we will be delighted to examine it.

>  I wonder if it is
>  fair that you advertise on  a Linux specific mailing list if you
>  "think Windows". These are the kind of fake Linux companies that
>  disgust me!

I'd appreciate it if you'd retract these comments. I can assure you
that we are desperate for people with experience of Linux
administration; and as a matter of fact, I got my current job at
ApplianSys via the Coventry Linux User group mailing list.

-RichardW.