[linuxjobs] Southern Records is looking for an experienced network administrator to do some consulting

Damon Allen Davison allolex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:58:19 UTC 2009

(Thanks to Alan Pope for telling me about this list.)

Hiya,

My partner and I run Southern Records. In addition to being a label
and distributor for about 30 years now, we've been providing IT
services to other music businesses, as well as doing everything for
ourselves. That has resulted in a pure Unix environment running on
Linux (SLES/Ubuntu) and Mac OS X. One of our clients' needs have grown
beyond what we can provide, so they will be hiring someone as a
full-time network administrator. (You can talk to me about that
position, if you're interested. It has almost the same basic
requirements as the consulting work I describe below.)

I'm capable of running (nearly) everything under normal circumstances,
but it's a whole lot of work, and there are technologies I'm not
particularly expert in and I really don't have the time to learn. My
current network admin is going and I need to make sure that Bad Things
don't happen when he does.

I need someone with a background in the Unix systems above and some
pretty solid experience managing mail systems (Exim, Sendmail, Cyrus).
You should also know DNS and DHCP, be proficient in TCP/IP and routing
technologies and have experience with Perl and Shell scripting. Your
skills should also include working with Cisco switches, IRIX (6.5),
BSD, LDAP, Apache 2, Kerberos, VMWare, serial communications and
cabling.

We're looking for someone, perhaps a couple of people, who charge
around £110-160 per day, depending on experience and what the market
will bear. We're an independent record company, so not completely
flush. There are fringe benefits, though, which we can discuss if the
basic scenario appeals to you.

There will be pretty regular work over the next six to ten months, if
all goes according to plan.

I'm looking forward to your replies (off-list, of course).

Best,

-d.

--

Damon Allen Davison

You can use my work address or the one I'm using to post this.

TLD com USER my first name DOMAIN southern