[linuxjobs] Linux Systems Administrator, London

Johan van den Dorpe Johan.VanDenDorpe at framestore.com
Tue Jul 20 16:57:30 UTC 2010

Hello,

My current client site is (again) looking for a System Administrator to join the team. Here's the blurb they wrote:

Senior Position:

Framestore has been creating world-beating visual effects for film and television for over twenty years. Our work has won numerous international awards, including the 2008 Academy & BAFTA Awards for our VFX on The Golden Compass , three BAFTA Craft Awards and thirteen Primetime Emmy Awards. The hundreds of projects on which we have worked include all of the Harry Potter films, Walking with Dinosaurs and its numerous sequels and spin-offs, many Bond titles and, recently, The Dark Knight , Where the Wild Things Are, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Sherlock Holmes, Nanny Mc Phee and the Big Bang, Clash of the Titans and James Cameron Avatar .

Our visual effects are created using a high performance Linux-based infrastructure managed by the Systems team across four buildings in Soho. We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join the team in London to ensure the ongoing smooth running of the production systems and develop them further as the business grows.

To be successful in this senior role you will need at least 3 to 4 years experience with Linux System administration within the post production industry or High Performance Computing field with a strong academic background (computer science degree or similar).

Desirable Skills and Experience:
* Degree level education
* A minimum of 3 years Linux system administration experience using Red Hat and Fedora
* An understanding of technologies such as MySQL, Postgres, NFS, SAN, Apache and Clustered File System
* A knowledge of scripting languages such as Shell/Bash, Python, PERL
* A thorough knowledge of storage and networking concepts and techniques, especially Extreme networks hardware
* A rigorous approach to project delivery, training and documentation
* Proven team player with good analytical, organisation and communication skills.

The role is Monday to Friday with scheduled on call work for which you will be compensated extra. I haven't been informed of the pay rate, but IMO they are usually on the better side compared to ads I've seen on this list and jobserve.

If you're interested, or know of anyone looking, please send me an email off list.

There are also some mid level jobs coming up before too long, so if you have 1-2+ years experience you could also send your CV in.

Thanks,
Johan van den Dorpe