[linuxjobs] "No agencies" policy?

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed Nov 14 11:53:08 UTC 2012

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:51:13AM +0000, Robert Morris wrote:
> I'm not sure what the moderation policy is on this list,

The list is not moderated and the current (lack of) policies are
described here:

So as you can see, agency posts are currently accepted.

> but would it be possible to have a "no agencies" rule please?

IIRC when this topic has come up before, the two camps are pretty
much

    "Ban agency posts, they are worthless"

and

    "lots of people use and get jobs through agencies, so since it
    results in someone getting a job there is no justification for
    banning these."

And the second camp is bigger in my experience. So I would say
change is unlikely and we would do better to avoid a long and
ultimately pointless thread on the topic.

FWIW I am in the first camp where this list is concerned.

While I am here wasting your time: I repost the jobs I find to

    https://twitter.com/UnixJobsUKunless

So unless a large proportion of my 15 followers decide they want to
continue seeing agency posts, I will no longer be passing them on.
If you're on Twitter maybe that is an acceptable compromise for you.

Cheers,
Andy