[linuxjobs] Support Engineer - Joyent - Work From Home

Jonathan Perkin jonathan at perkin.org.uk
Thu Nov 15 10:02:13 UTC 2012

We (Joyent) are hiring a Support Engineer to work from home in the UK.

This is a fantastic chance to work in a growing company which has a
strong engineering culture:

 - Our cloud offering is based on SmartOS, our open source
   distribution of illumos (the successor of Solaris), and is
   developed by our engineering team, many of whom were responsible
   for significant portions of Solaris, such as DTrace, ZFS, Zones,
   and JumpStart.

 - We sponsor the Node.js project, have the lead developer on our
   staff, and use node extensively for our stack.

 - Our engineers tenaciously attack problems until the issue is fully
   understood and resolved.  A good example of this is yesterday's
   blog post by Brendan Gregg, our Lead Performance Engineer:

     http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan/2012/11/14/dtracing-in-anger/

   Other examples recently include debugging very low level BIOS and
   firmware problems, and diving through the Linux kernel with DTrace
   to resolve a QEMU networking problem.

While this is primarily a SmartOS environment, we ported Linux KVM to
SmartOS and have a large number of customers using Linux VMs on our
platform, so Linux skills are definitely required, especially to help
solve the various issues we come across when running in a virtual
environment.  Plus all the usual sysadmin skills apply.

The job spec is here:

  http://joyent.com/company/careers/customer-support-engineer

Please apply using the instructions in that URL rather than through
me, I'm only posting this because I work here and I think it's an
awesome company.

Regards,

--
Jonathan Perkin       www.perkin.org.uk