[linuxjobs] Senior (Linux) Operations Engineer - TIM Group, London

Adam Gibbins adam at adamgibbins.com
Wed Jun 12 16:32:07 UTC 2013

TIM Group are looking for a Senior Linux Systems
Administrator/Operations "DevOps" Engineer to join our team in London.
The ideal candidate would be passionate about refining and perfecting
the way web applications are deployed and managed, and with the
mixed sysadmin/development skills to help us advance
the state of the art:

https://github.com/youdevise/orc
https://github.com/youdevise/puppetupdate
https://devblog.timgroup.com
(+ more in development)

We offer a fun, challenging, and rewarding working environment with the
opportunity to build an awesome career... and up to £70k, extensive
benefits, and
assistance in relocation for this role. We're also offering
a £500 referral bonus upon a successful 6 month+ hire (see below for
terms).

Please forward your CV and covering letter to recruitment at timgroup.com
Please do *not* email me to apply -- I'm not a recruiter, I'm on the team!
However I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the position.

Best of luck,
Adam ("Whoop" on Freenode/OFTC)

= Referral =
We're offering a referral bonus of £500 to anyone forwarding a
candidate that we successfully hire for 6 months or more.
To be eligible you must email recruitment at timgroup.com to register as
a referee.  If we then successfully hire your referral for 6 months
you'll receive the referral bonus.

= Our Technologies =
Our tooling provides automated deployment and management of a diverse
array of Linux-based technologies using KVM virtualization, managed by
Puppet and MCollective, with significant in-house tooling written in
Ruby. The products we deploy are written primarily in Scala
and/or Java, backed by an collection of leading open-source tools including:
MySQL, MongoDB, IPVS load balancing, Graphite, LogStash and RabbitMQ.

= Our Process =
We use agile development techniques such as test-driven development,
pair-programming, and continuous delivery, adapting these to our needs
as necessary. We are a self-managed distributed team that collaborate
in an open and flexible way. Every team member proposes solutions and
we're all equally willing to lead when appropriate and follow when
that's what's needed. Our team has a true DevOps focus, with
backgrounds in both systems administration and development and we
highly value the melding of those skill-sets.

= Desired Skills & Experience =
Essential Attributes / Skills:
  - Excellent problem solving skills
  - Expertise with systems automation and configuration management
technologies such as Puppet
  - Experience implementing Disaster Recovery and High Availability of
Linux systems
  - Solid Linux / Unix systems administration experience
  - Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
  - Diverse technology knowledge and a sense of curiosity to explore
new and better ways to solve problems

Ideal Attributes:
 - Expertise with managing and supporting Java environments
 - Some experience doing application development and testing in JVM
languages (Java, Scala, etc)
 - Experience with server orchestration tools such as MCollective
 - You've fixed bugs in open-source system administration tools
 - DBA experience with MySQL
 - Experience / interest in the finance sector
 - "Hobby Project" of interest / open-source contributor

= Our Business =
Our systems help manage billion-dollar portfolios, feed complex
quantitative financial models, and fuel the sales and trading desks of
the world's largest investment banks.  We give our teams the freedom
to use the tools and languages that they need to solve the problems
inherent in these systems. Due to our rapid business growth since
launching our products in 2005, we have grown our development teams in
our London and Boston offices.