[linuxjobs] Software engineer (C++/jQuery on Linux): Sheffield/York

Seb James sjames at wmltd.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 15:07:27 UTC 2014

Hello list,

We're recruiting for a full time Software Engineer position. The salary
range is 30 to 35k. Initially, we would like the successful candidate to
work from our office in Sheffield, but a move to an office in York is
likely.

Enquiries should be directed to Mark Brown on 01427 753653.

kind regards,

Seb James

Job Description:

WML is seeking an experienced Linux/C++ programmer to support and
develop its document automation services. We're looking for a talented
technical staff member who can work independently initially from our
Sheffield office, with the likelihood of a move to York within a year.

WML is a small, established business providing computer software for
document manipulation and text engineering, primarily to the Insurance
and Retail sectors. Many of our customers are household names and
you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work will be used
across the UK and abroad.

All our products are based on the Linux platform so this opportunity
will particularly appeal to those with a keen interest in programming
for GNU/Linux.

The work on offer will include aspects of system administration and
programming/software engineering.

You might find yourself:

* Helping to resolve customer support issues (bug fixing, problem
  identification).
* Extending our C++ code to generate and manipulate PDF documents.
* Extending our web browser-based user interface (C++/jQuery).
* Programming our devices up ready for shipment.
* Improving the shell-scripts which build our software and program
  our devices.
* Writing documentation (written in docbook xml) for our software.

All the development is carried out on Debian and Ubuntu hosts, so good
familiarity with the Linux programming environment is a prerequisite,
especially GNU Autotools and git. You will need to be proficient in
C++ and Javascript/HTML and have experience in learning to work on a
codebase developed by other software engineers.

The core of our products is Linux and CUPS, so a familiarity with CUPS
is highly desirable. We also make use of MySQL in our systems, so some
SQL experience is also of interest. Some experience with
virtualisation technologies will also be useful in this post.

--
William Matthew Limited
Direct Line: +44 (0)114 272 5011