[linuxjobs] Devops/Sytems Engineer - Cambourne/Cambridge. £35k-£45k

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 15:22:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I currently work for http://www.swiftserve.com and we're recruiting for at least
one and possibly 2 Linux systems/devops engineer positions. I've attached the
job description below, sorry about the formatting.

Currently we're based in Cambourne but we're moving to Milton in January. This
is a permanent position and we're wanting people to start as soon as possible.
Salary is in a range from £35k-£45k, possibly a bit more for exceptional
candidates. If you want to send an application or have questions then please
send a CV/email to my work email address: abower at swiftserve.com

We are looking for a Dev Ops engineer with strong Linux skills to work on
automation, deployment, monitoring, integration and investigating complex
issues.

Responsibilities:

The successful candidate will have overall help work closely with our
Engineering and Operations teams to help improve our automation, packaging,
continuous integration and monitoring across our PaaS offerings. Will help work
with our field engineers and support teams to investigate complex issues and
design and architect customer solutions to meet customers needs. Investigate
complicated issues, debugging distributed systems involving multiple components
to isolate problems. As part of investigation it is expected that this person
will be able to reference the source code to understand what is going on, and
perform investigations involving packet dumps, log files and monitoring data
from multiple systems. Work with engineering and product leads to provide
feedback on to the product into areas where it can be improved and enhanced.
This role will involve some out-of-hours work on deployments and/or on-call
rotas.

Experience/Skillset Required:

Excellent Linux skills - solid background in systems administration,
knowledge/experience of investigating issues and bottlenecks. Strong
understanding of Internet networking covering IP networks, Internet protocols
and technologies, packet dumps. Good basic programming experience, able to write
and understand programs in a variety of languages with experience of Python (or
at least Python-like languages such as Ruby or Perl) and Javascript.  Experience
of using Unix tools to help analyse log files (e.g. use of tools like ‘awk’,
‘grep’, ‘uniq’) Experience of using automation tools for deployment (e.g.
Puppet or Chef) and monitoring tools. Experience of using/building network
monitoring and alerting systems. Experience of Linux software packaging (e.g.
building RPMs or DEBs) Pragmatic and flexible attitude, and a desire to solve
the customer requirement. Fluent English speaker with good written and verbal
communication skills. Able to work in the UK (EU citizen or existing work
permit), and able to work predominantly in our Cambourne office. Useful
Knowledge of video-related technologies covering encoding (transcoding),
protection (DRM) and delivery protocols (HLS, HDS, Smooth, RTMP) Basic
understanding of C, C++ and Java.

The Company We are a self-funded and established start-up employing about 35
people around the world. We are tackling the challenges around the delivery of
large volumes of data (e.g. video) over the Internet. As such we provide content
delivery services to some of the largest networks in the world and are
responsible for service provision with extremely high uptime requirements.

Thanks Adam