[linuxjobs] Linux SysAdmin at Open Knowledge - remote, but UK/EU timezone prefered

Matt Moore matt.moore at okfn.org
Thu Apr 16 15:50:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are looking for an enthusiastic system administrator who can learn fast,
to assist with developing and running the technical infrastructure of a
dynamic and growing not-for-profit.

Open Knowledge is an award-winning not-for-profit, renowned worldwide for
using technology, training, and advocacy to unlock information and enable
people to use it to create insight and change.

You will work with an experienced senior system administrator to manage and
maintain our technical infrastructure, which includes OpenSpending
<https://openspending.org> and publicdata.eu, email and mailing list
hosting for a network of tens of thousands of users, and a WordPress
multisite instance serving more than 100 domains and nearly a million hits
each day.

You will also engage with users (developers, researchers, operational
staff, volunteers, etc.) across the organisation to understand their
technology needs. You will be part of a small team responsible for helping
the organisation run more effectively and efficiently.

*Required*

   - At least 2 years' professional experience as a Linux system
   administrator. If you have relevant experience that is not in a
   professional setting, we will happily consider this as well.
   - Experience with standard networking services and protocols, including:
   TCP/IP, DNS, SSH, SMTP, HTTP(S).
   - Experience administering multi-user Linux systems, with a particular
   focus on automation, security, and reliability.
   - Experience deploying and managing Python/Perl/Ruby web applications.
   - Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
   - Ability to work well with a team distributed across countries and
   timezones.

*Desired*

   - Experience with automated configuration management tools such as
   Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
   - Experience administering Ubuntu Linux.
   - Knowledge of uptime and service monitoring tools such as Nagios,
   Graphite, Collectd, etc.
   - Experience administering Google Apps hosted services.
   - Experience with automated deployment and monitoring in Amazon Web
   Services or similar "cloud hosting" environments.
   - Knowledge of the Python programming language and experience
   maintaining open-source Python tools.

*Location: *This is a remote working position.  We have a preference for
candidates in the UK or EU, but will consider strong applicants from any
location.

*Compensation: *dependent on experience and location living costs.  But for
a UK based employee it would be around £30,000 to £40,000 dependant on
experience.  We offer 20 days holiday if you live in the UK plus 8 bank
holidays.  We can only offer employment to UK candidates, everyone else
will be a contractor (either yearly or permanent), so as a contractor you
can negotiate holiday/benefits as you want.

*Apply here:*
https://okfn.org/about/jobs/

Cheers,

--