[linuxjobs] Birmingham - Linux - AWS - DevOps engineer

peter chatterley peter.chatterley at babbagelovelace.com
Thu May 21 09:07:28 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Talis is a fast growing SAAS enterprise software company that is changing the way Universities globally engage with their students.Our software helps universities and colleges connect teaching and learning in meaningful and productive ways. Over the last 3 years we've been doubling our revenue roughly every 10 months, with 100% customer renewal, so we're growing fast, and we are now looking for a DevOps engineer to work closely with our Development team on ensuring that we have the best tools for the job and we automate as much as possible.

Our infrastructure can range from big data tools such as Hadoop, Cloud services such as AWS and tool sets like Puppet, Ansible and Chef, but its really about that ability to work with the development team and build streamlined processes that enable faster and better systems for everyone.

While we work on the cutting edge tech, we still have the legacy infrastructure which needs to be managed and provisioned so you need to be comfortable doing both.

With the current engineer taking on the role of lead for this area, we need another enthusiastic and experienced hire to take their place and become the champion for DevOps in our business.

We offer the ability to work remotely for the right candidate after a period of time of working in the office full time to get to know us and our systems.

The role will be part of a 24/7 rota team which will be compensated accordingly.

Our products were originally built exclusively in PHP, but we are moving to a microservices architecture implemented in a variety of technologies including PHP, Java, and node.js. The emphasis is on the right tool for the job, rather than worship at any particular technology alter.
We make extensive use of NoSQL technology. Our core data platform is currently MongoDB but we also used redis & PostgreSQL.
We like to crunch numbers, log files and whatever else we can get our hands on in Hadoop and Storm.
We use a hybrid of cloud and co-located services.
We track, time and monitor everything that moves. Currently we're using a combination of Sensu, PagerDuty, Dashing, NewRelic, Graphite.
It is only desirable, not essential, that you have experience in some or all of the technologies we use today. Afterall, they may not be the exact same set we use in 18 months time.
The important thing is that you can demonstrate you are a quick learner, use and select technologies on their own merit, and can apply sound theory in your decisions and code.

REQUIREMENTS

Strong Sys admin skills in Linux and cloud systems - AWS especially

Good experience with scripting tools, Python, Ruby, PHP

Good experience of databases especially MongoDB or other NoSQL systems.

Proven experience of working with automation of infrastructure especially in a 24/7 SaaS environment

Knowledge of Puppet, Chef, Ansible, and the HTTP protocol.

A problem solver, able to get to the root of a problem

Able to work closely with developers as part of the team

An educator, your role will be to help the development team make process easier.

Everyone is encouraged to ask a lot of questions here, so you should be ready for people to challenge and feedback on your approach and ideas, and vice versa.
We are a fun, small, smart and close knit team. Every individual is expected to make a real and tangible difference to our success.
We're open and transparent, and those that share in our values thrive and stay with us for many years. We are a start-up now in the scale up phase, so those looking for a more corporate environment need not apply.
BENEFITS

You'll be working directly with the technical lead and the product manager for our enterprise products.

Although our offices are based in central Birmingham, all of our roles allow a degree of home working depending on specific requirements as set by your peers and reports.

In addition to an very competitive salary, we offer an exceptionally generous contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance (after induction period) and immediate cover on an exceptional Health Cash Plan, including dental and optical cover.

100% employee owned - every employee shares in the value of the company through our options scheme
Flexible working hours and location - although we are small we have people on three continents and at many locations across the UK.
Transparent reporting - every team communicates progress weekly to everybody - and you are free to ask questions or make suggestions.

  *   Hack events every quarter - for the whole company not just dev - our latest projects included a custom-built arcade machine, internet-enabled milkbot built into our fridge uilt into our fridge and hacking the walls with custom graphics.
  *   Beautiful Grade II listed offices in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham.