[linuxjobs] A cautionary tale

Paul Stimpson paul at stimpsonfamily.co.uk
Wed May 11 11:49:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

I thought I would share this experience my friend just had looking for
his first job after moving to the UK.

My friend was worked in computing for a while and recently acquired EU
citizenship. It was always his intent to come to Europe and live here.
He just started looking for his first technician/support role on a
number of name-you-know job sites.

Two days ago, he received  phone call late in the business day asking if
he was available to come the next morning for an interview for a job
he'd applied for on Monster. He agreed and was given an 11am slot at an
address in Fore Street, near Moorgate. The person he was to meet was a
woman whose family name he was told was "Khan."

He arrived at the address given, which turned out to be a
"rent-an-office" flexible workspace in a prestige London building and
received, by all accounts, received a reasonable interview experience.
He was then told that they weren't filling the vacancy immediately.  He
was told that, even though it was for a junior position, that it was a
requirement that he pass one of their Microsoft courses to be considered
for the role. He was then offered the course online for what he was led
to believe was a deeply discounted price of £230 plus an examination fee
of £90.

The job was Microsoft-centric and was for a company he was told was
called "Learning for You." Their web presence is "vague" and my Googling
of the interview address revealed the presence of the flexible office
business operating at the interview address. I know that isn't
necessarily a bad sign as my friends operate a successful business out
of a long-term lease of a Regus workspace. Subsequent searches reveal
others with similar experiences and concerns about different trading
names that seem to also be associated with Learning for You and
interviews held at various flexible office spaces.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3540525

My friend didn't give these people any money but, until he gets his
first job, only has his finite savings to draw upon. The interview was
just early enough that he had to buy a full-price commuter train ticket
to get there, a £40 expense he didn't need. If he was looking to change
job, it would also have cost him a day off work.

I know this isn't directly relevant to the Linux market but I don't see
any reason this couldn't occur with Linux-centric positions.

Best regards,
Paul.