[linuxjobs] Talis are hiring - Birmingham

Peter Chatterley pc at talis.com
Thu Oct 20 16:47:25 UTC 2016

Talis are a leading Birmingham based software company that are rapidly
scaling, we work on linux based platforms and fully support open source in
the local tech scene.

Our software helps universities and colleges connect teaching and learning
in meaningful and productive ways. Over the last 3 years we’ve been
doubling our revenue roughly every 10 months, with 100% customer renewal,
so we’re growing fast.

Talis is looking to hire mid to senior level developers to help grow the
Enterprise Software team, working on a mixture of PHP, Node.JS and Java
codebases. Our core data platform is currently MongoDB but we also use
redis & PostgreSQL.

Our software helps universities and colleges connect teaching and learning
in meaningful and productive ways. Over the last 3 years we’ve been
doubling our revenue roughly every 10 months, with 100% customer renewal,
so we’re growing fast.We are keen to hire great development talent, to help
us scale out our enterprise software, to challenge our thinking and
markets, to take ownership of the business and for you to find the home
that meets your needs.

We are looking for senior and mid level developers as we grow this team,
joining an established product team who look after our enterprise products,
which have hundreds of thousands of users and millions of interactions per
day. You should be a polyglot programmer with experience on products with
scale, performance and durable code and process.

   - Our products were originally built exclusively in PHP, but we are
   moving to a microservices architecture implemented in a variety of
   technologies including PHP, Java, and node.js. Our front end is a mixture
   of javascript and HTML/CSS technology. The emphasis is on the right tool
   for the job, rather than worship at any particular technology alter.
   - We make extensive use of NoSQL technology. Our core data platform is
   currently MongoDB but we also use redis & PostgreSQL.
   - We like to crunch numbers, log files and whatever else we can get our
   hands on in Hadoop and Storm.
   - We use a hybrid of cloud and co-located services.
   - We track, time and monitor everything that moves. Currently we’re
   using a combination of Sensu, PagerDuty, Dashing, NewRelic, Graphite.
   - It is only desirable, not essential, that you have experience in some
   or all of the technologies we use today. After all, they may not be the
   exact same set we use in 18 months time.
   - The important thing is that you can demonstrate you are a quick
   learner, use and select technologies on their own merit, and can apply
   sound theory in your decisions and code.

REQUIREMENTS

   - Your job is to work with with the rest of the development team to
   ensure new features – and new products – delight customers, ship on time,
   and are of a high quality.
   - We’re looking for a developer, not just a great programmer – so your
   ability to question a spec and come up with a better outcome for the user
   is just as important as your ability to implement it.
   - You’ll enjoy scaling and building for hundreds of thousands of users
   just as much as shipping a shiny new product to hundreds.
   - You’ll be courageous in your approach to technology and not be afraid
   to undertake major changes if that is what is required to get the job done.
   - You’ll share our appetite for unit testing, automated testing and
   continuous integration. You’ll likely have opinions on how to improve our
   approach to all three.
   - Your code will be self-documenting, exhibit sensible and recognisable
   patterns, and your designs will be capable of being easily refactored as we
   scale, grow and further develop our products.
   - Everyone is encouraged to ask a lot of questions here, so you should
   be ready for people to challenge and feedback on your approach and ideas,
   and vice versa.
   - We are a fun, small, smart and close knit team. Every individual is
   expected to make a real and tangible difference to our success.
   - We’re open and transparent, and those that share in our values thrive
   and stay with us for many years. We are a start-up now in the scale up
   phase, so those looking for a more corporate environment need not apply.

BENEFITS

Although our offices are based in central Birmingham, all of our roles
allow a degree of home working depending on specific requirements as set by
your peers and reports.

In addition to an very competitive salary, we offer an exceptionally
generous contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance (after
induction period) and immediate cover on an exceptional Health Cash Plan,
including dental and optical cover.

   - 100% employee owned – every employee shares in the value of the
   company through our options scheme
   - Flexible working hours and location – although we are small we have
   people on three continents and at many locations across the UK.
   - Transparent reporting – every team communicates progress weekly to
   everybody – and you are free to ask questions or make suggestions.
   - Hack events every quarter – for the whole company not just dev – our
   latest projects included a custom-built arcade machine, internet-enabled
   milkbot built into our fridge and hacking the walls with custom graphics.
   - Beautiful Grade II listed offices in the heart of the Jewellery
   Quarter, Birmingham.

Peter Chatterley

Talent

Talis

http://www.talis.com

Twitter: @talis

 We are looking for great engineering talent to come and join us in our
journey as we build exciting new systems, check out our engineering blog
and careers page to find out more about us.

http://engineering.talis.com/

http://careers.talis.com

M: +44 (0) 7979523577

E: p <pt at talis.com>c at talis.com