[linuxjobs] Senior Devops Engineer

Peter Chatterley pc at talis.com
Thu Mar 15 11:54:03 UTC 2018

Senior Devops Engineer

Our software helps universities and colleges connect teaching and learning
in meaningful and productive ways. Over the last three years we’ve been
doubling our revenue roughly every 10 months, with high customer retention,
so we’re growing fast, and now work with over 94 universities worldwide.

Our culture is a challenging one (as it needs to be, with the growth that
we strive to continue to achieve), every one of us is responsible for the
role we do; however, we are also relaxed, fun and dynamic. We are
interested in talking to people who are happy to own what they do, feel
passionately about the marketplace in which they work, and want to deliver
high quality service to a growing customer base.

The Role

You will be an active member of the Platform team reporting to the Head of
Platform. The Platform team is wholly responsible for developing and
provisioning applications into Amazon Web Services. We are a small Agile
Engineering team that comprises of many cross functional skills that
develop, deploy, and monitor API based services for use by our application
teams. As well as building Platform services, the team is also focused on
providing a high level of automation and additional custom tooling to
enable other development teams within Talis to provision and deploy their
applications.

We always strive to utilise the appropriate tool for the job, although the
role comes with a high degree of autonomy, a key requirement in the team is
to maintain a supportive and collaborative approach for our own training
and development. You will be expected to bring opinions, creativity, and a
passion in micro-services deployment, container orchestration, and full
stack monitoring.

We offer the ability to work remotely for the right candidate after a
period of time of working in the office full time to get to know us, our
processes, and our systems.

The role will be part of a 24/7 rota team which will be compensated
accordingly.

Ideally you can bring

   - Commercial experience in complete AWS infrastructure architecture
   planning, provisioning, configuration management and deployment.
   - Practical experience in developing and automating Continuous
   Integration and Continuous Delivery solutions.
   - Autonomous and experienced in driving new practices, tooling, and
   processes
   - Experienced in building, configuring, and deploying containerised
   solutions such as Docker and Kubernetes
   - Proficient in a high level scripting language such as Ruby, Python
   - Risk aware and a `safe hands` approach to maintaining Enterprise
   application up-time
   - Proven experience in Configuration Management Tooling such as Ansible
   / Chef / Puppet
   - Experienced in Computer Networks, VPNs, and security ACLs

 We can offer you

A starting salary between £40,000 and £60,000 depending on experience.

Although our offices are based in central Birmingham, all of our roles
allow a degree of home working depending on specific requirements as set by
your peers and reports.

In addition to a very competitive salary, we offer an exceptionally
generous contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance (after
induction period) and immediate cover on an exceptional Health Cash Plan,
including dental and optical cover.

   - 100% employee owned – every employee shares in the value of the
   company through our options scheme
   - Flexible working hours and location – although we are small we have
   people on three continents and at many locations across the UK.
   - Transparent reporting – every team communicates progress weekly to
   everybody – and you are free to ask questions or make suggestions.
   - Hack events every quarter – for the whole company not just dev – our
   latest projects included a custom-built arcade machine, internet-enabled
   milkbot built into our fridge and hacking the walls with custom graphics.
   - Beautiful Grade II listed offices in the heart of the Jewellery
   Quarter, Birmingham.

You can find out more at careers.talis.com and apply for the role there.

Peter Chatterley

Talent Hacker

Talis

http://www.talis.com

Twitter: @talis

We are looking for great engineering talent to come and join us in our
journey as we build exciting new systems, check out our engineering blog
and careers page to find out more about us.

http://engineering.talis.com/

M: +44 (0) 7979523577

E: p <pt at talis.com>c at talis.com