[Lust] Is lust still active?

Dylan the Hippy Wabbit dylan.wabbit at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 10 13:20:05 BST 2004

Hi All,

> So what are peoples most recently learnt (or re-learnt) languages?

Not exactly learning, because I've used it before, but I'm currently
keeping in practice with XSLT.  Both for my private (not ready yet) and
charity (http://www.erotic-awards.co.uk/ , er... broad minded adults only
please) web sites I have listing pages generated from an XSLT template.

I'm also working on a Perl-DBI module to format database listings into
XML, which you can then munge with XSLT in the same way.  There's one on
CPAN already, but it doesn't work how I think it should.  Sometimes you
have to reinvent the wheel, otherwise you won't get from a cartwheel to
pneumatic tyres.

Put together I should get a templating system which avoids the
maintainance and security nightmares of PHP/JSP/ASP/Mason et al.  Previous
generations of coders (and Bruce Schneier) had a  commandment, "Thou shalt
not mix code into data."  The current generation don't seem to have
learned it.  They'll probably figure it out, just in time for the next
batch to miss the point AGAIN.  ;-)

BTW, Template Toolkit gets an honorable mention for also keeping the logic
out of the template.  I just like using XML for it.

--

Dave Spacey

"Most people are fools, most authority is malignant, God does not exist,
and everything is wrong." - Ted Nelson