[Lust] Commercial squid cache

Michael Culverhouse mc2kuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 15:00:34 BST 2005

Hi Robin,
I've never seen squid used in this way, I believe it
was originally intended to reduce network traffic by
providing locally cached copies of web pages, but that
was in the days of expensive external network
connections :) Also useful for logging outgoing web
traffic.
Are you looking to do that for free ? as I can't see
anyone providing the bandwidth for nothing. But there
might be a good buisness model there for someone to
provide that service for low cost.
I think if you're web site starts attracting large
amounts of interest, you may have to consider a
hosting company. You could still control the content
locally but have to push it out each time you changed
it.

Out of interest which ADSL provider are you with ?
I'm currently with Zen who've allocated me 8 static ip
addresses for me to play with. Not the cheapest but
consistently at the top of the charts
(adslguide.org.uk) for speed, reliability and customer
service. That sounds like a plug, it wasn't meant to
be, just that I'm happy with them.

Mike C.