[Lust] newbie's question

chris at cca.me.uk chris at cca.me.uk
Fri Aug 10 13:16:42 BST 2007

sl-weiss at tring-guitar.co.uk wrote:
> hello,
>
> I've been using Mandriva Discovery for about 18 months now without
> problems, and would now like to move legacy wintel audio and notation
> packages across to Linux.
>
> It seems I need to join Mandriva's user club to download rpm's to
> trial. Does this mean the free ride is truly over?
>
> Could anyone suggest another distribution to try?
>
> apologies for any inconvenience.
>
> Kevin Cook

Hi Kevin,

Not at all.  Depending on what it is you want to do you may want to
switch distributions anyway.

If you want a 'studio in a box' then you can't get better that 64
Studio  (http://64studio.com/). Despite it's name there is a 32 bit
version available and they have just updated to version 2.  It is Debian
based and free. It has an optimised kernel for real-time low-latency
recording and a very active community.

If you just want an exceptional notation package then take a look at
Lilypond (http://lilypond.org/).  I think it is super, but does have a
bit of steep learning curve as you control it via text files (though
there are gui's available for it, I haven't tried).  It does well at
midi to notation and visa versa, though it's main purpose is just
printed music.
It should be fairly easy to compile it for Mandriva, if it isn't already
in the Mandriva repositories, and it is already part of 64 Studio.

There is a live CD called Studio-to-GO http://www.ferventsoftware.com/
which costs £80, though a free demo is available.  Don't know much about
this but it has some impressive reviews.

Have fun

Chris Allison