[Lust] Linux Laptops

Rob linux at hyborian.demon.co.uk
Thu May 1 13:31:31 BST 2008

Hi all,

I know this an _old_ thread, but hey, it isn't like this mailgroup is
exactly inundated ;)  Just a quick recommendation ...

I've recently purchased a Dell Vostro 1700 (as a small business user),
very nice 17" widescreen, Core 2 Duo T7700, NVidia 8600M GT w 256MB RAM,
3GB system RAM and a 320 GB HDD.

It came with Vista and MS Office 2007, which I've kept in it's own
little 100MB partition.  It works well with Linux.  Initially it was not
possible to control the volume using the Alsa PCM control (I had to use
the front volume control), but the latest kernel and Alsa updates have
fixed that.  Everything seems to work well - wifi, ethernet, built-in
webcam, the touchpad can be fine-tuned with synaptics.  It cost me just
under £800.

I've got a pretty up-to-date distro (Arch, uses a rolling update and is
fairly cutting edge), so unless you're using the latest releases, ymmv.

I'm using the x86 Kernel 2.6.24.4, Alsa 1.0.16, NVidia 169.12.  The wifi
card uses the Intel open source iwl3945 driver which is part of the
kernel I'm using.

The only issue (which may be a non-issue) is the multimedia "house"
button which some people online have claimed wrecks their (automated)
Linux installation.  Apparently it boots into a cut down version of XP
which can be used for playing CDs or DVDs without booting the whole PC.
I _did_ find a small partition at the end of the disk which seemed to
fit the role, and I've removed it completely, but I haven't had the urge
- or is that the balls ;) - to press that button yet!