[Malvern] Java, Open Office and Mozilla, Galeon

Phil Ironside phil at creativespaces.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 15:33:42 GMT 2004

Thanks Andy M for the Open Office files,
I have been distributing copies to all who venture into my office, I'm thinking of getting some T's printed - I've been OOo'd.

You mentioned that Open Office improved as did web browsing when JDK was installed well get this -

Earlier this week Galeon and Mozilla began crashing for no particular reason on my Slackware 9.1 machine, I had to start using Netscape & Dillo until I had sorted out the problem, which I didn't.

On Friday I got printing working on my main SLackware 9 using apsfilter, I installed some true type fonts and yesterday (Sat) I made some posters in Open Office 1.0 (1.1 not yet installed).

Soon after Mozilla and FIrebird began crashing on this machine. Today (Sun) I decided to install JDK to help OOffice 1.0 along as it was a bit slow on Saturday. Konqueror then began to display fonts as little boxes.

I uninstalled the TT fonts (arial) in case that was doing the trick with both Konqueror and OOffice (TTF can be a source of amusement) - no luck, I was thinking of doing something with apsfilter but not sure what. This all caused OOffice not to load at all (after re-boots, restarting X etc still no good).

So I upgraded Open Office 1.0 to 1.1 (which is a great improvement on 1.0), I had to repair it as it was hanging badly, but got it going - this is a killer ap.

Now Mozilla and FIrebird work fine and a lot quicker. I am going to install JDK on the 9.1 machine and see if it cures the problem there too - after a lie down in a darkened room. Any one had similar experiences?

I am still having a mouch around Debian, it was easy to install with Knoppix. If any one wants to install Knoppix and then apt-get just follow Andy B's instructions.
I would also add that it is a good idea to leave the user knoppix there for a while so that you can get all the groups it belongs to added to your account ie groups knoppix   then   usermod -G cdrecord,scanner etc..
I am having difficulty changing the window manager with update-alternatives --install x-window-manager if anyone has any ideas, but it looks good , sure beats trying to install woody and all those questions about hardware.

I am putting a poster in Computer Link sometime soon to advertise Malvern Lug, I did one in OOo for my door yesterday. How we are going to promote the Lug would also be a good subject for next meeting.

Phil

Creative Spaces
01684-561495