[Malvern] ISO.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btopenworld.com
Tue Jan 20 16:29:26 GMT 2004

Hi to all, and thanks to Andy M. for the info on ISO.

I particularly enjoyed the story about His Bill-ness and the ISO.
I had not known before why Win98 has a SE.

Well, I am familiar with what the ISO is, and with ISO 900x.
I also know that iso9660 is the format for mounting cdroms.
There was an earlier "Rock Ridge" format.

What I do not really understand is the relationship between a
distributed ISO  such as the Knoppix distribution,  which I
understand is, like other data CDs, in ISO9660 format,  and the
procerss of "re-vamping" the content of that disk,  before it
is recorded on a second Live-boot  disk  presumably also an
ISO9660.  They are both ISO9660,  but the original does not
have a bootable Linux file-system, while the derived copy does.

Is it, for example like un-zipping an archive file ?

What am I missing ?

Best regards to all.

Geoff.