[Malvern] Slackware and X.Org

Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore stuart at sslaxx.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 22:27:53 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:23, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> This evening I mentioned that support for X-Window had forked,  and that RMS
> was involved.
>
> I can't find where I got that from,  but look at http://osnew.com   and go
> to "Slackware goes X.Org".
>
> Also,  try http://linuxfr.org/pub      Go to the bottom and click "Lire
> l'article".
> You don't need much French to get the gist.  Everyone has got fed up with
> the  latest Xfree86
> license  and gone over to a GPL compatible  X11R6.7.0,   with  Slackware
> involved.
> I can't find the bit about RMS,  but I did see it somewhere.

No surprise. A few other distros are considering the switch, too. It
appears XFree's leader, David Dawes, has apparently become somewhat more
interested in taking XFree86 proprietary by stealth (one of the key
XFree developers is a company owned by Dawes).

Bye,

--
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
AIM: MrSslaxx            ICQ: 144089571     YAHOO: mrsslaxx