[Malvern] Odd questions.

Guy Inchbald guy at queenhill.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 22:37:59 BST 2004

GEOFF BAGLEY <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> writes

>2.    I notice that Slackware are changing  X-window software for license
>reasons.
>       Anyone know anything about this ?

Is this the xFree86 issue?

IIRC, the xFree86 owner is modifying the license for future releases, to
be tighter than the GPL.

Since xFree code has been a bit moribund lately, an already frustrated
community has taken the opportunity to develop a properly GPL'ed fork at
a decent speed. Can't remember its name, sorry.

Hence, a number of distros are/will be dropping xFree.

Cheers,
Guy

I'll be reinstalling Linux as soon as I get a round to it...