[Malvern] Netgear DG814.

Andrew McKenzie a_j_mckenzie at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:08:40 BST 2004

Hi Geoff,

I have one of the DG814 Netgear routers. Overall iam happy with it, although
it does have it's niggly bits.
Essentiall it is a standard 4port ethernet switch and ADSL router (sorry no
wifi)that was the predessessor to the DG834 i think. Also as such i dont
think they make the DG814 anymore, so good luck trying to track one down.

The problems i have had with it are that in port forwarding there are only
10 entries you can setup, which does tend to suck if you want to setup
forwarding for more than a few machines. Also the firmware is a pain in the
butt. Through trial and error i have found the best one for my router
(v.4.8) and unfortunitly 4.9 and 4.10 do not like my router, they disconnect
repeatedly or just plain wont connect to the net.
I have found with 4.8 that also i can leave the router for more than a
single weekend downloading without it falling over.
If it does fall over there are 2 things to do:
If you can access the interface, just use it to disconnect then reconnect.
If you can not access the interface just flip the on off switch and it will
reconnect (but this take slightly longer as the DHCP server needs to restart
if you are using that feature)

Other than that it is a really good router, simple to setup and any issues
can be fixed quickly, the online interface is really good, much better than
other dlinks i have tried and seen. Also the same interface (or very
similar) is in the newer line of netgear routers. Also works out the box on
all flavours of linux i have fiddled with (as long as you can get the
network adaptor to work).

Andy M