[Malvern] Ethernet card.

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Tue Jun 29 10:16:57 BST 2004

At 09:56 29/06/2004 +0100, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
>I have located a Linux driver for my ethernet card .
>The card is Intel PRO 100 S,  and the driver, which I have down-loaded is :
>e100-2.3.43.tar
>
>I guess I have to "un-tar" it,  and possibly compile it,  and install it in
>my Debian Woody
>set-up.
>Does anyone have experience of this ?
>
>I can  read the fabulous manual for the un-tar bit,  but if I have to
>compile it, does that mean
>C or some other language ?
>
>In what directory should the binary go,  and will it need to be configured ?

There will almost certainly be a README file, but in any case it's usually
pretty simple:

Create a directory, say /usr/src/e100 and change to it.

    tar xvf e100-2.3.43.tar

    make

and as root

    make install

I don't use Debian so can't tell you where the module libraries usually go,
but as a last resort use

    insmod e100

depending on the compiled library name to install the driver module.  Your
on your own then to look up where Woody keeps it's configuration files, but
obviously you need to describe your IP address and netmask, DNS servers etc.

I'm sure someone else here can help with Woody specific configuration.

--
Steve