[Malvern] Perl.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu May 6 11:46:53 BST 2004

This is really in response the Chris's interesting mail.

I understand that Perl is normally "interpreted", as opposed to compiled.

I have little experience of interpreters,  confined to  BASIC  :-(   and a
little time spent
plating with FORTH.  All my programming has been in Algol 60, FORTRAN 4,
Algol 68,
Z-80 assembler,  and Turbo Pascal 7.0.

The last one is my work-horse,  and although C is very attractive from a
"compatibility" point of view,
I am not convinved that whole-sale conversion from Pascal will have great
advantages for me.
If you use the GNU C and gpc cpmpilers, you can mix them.

Perl though, I think is both interpreted AND  structured/object oriented.
That would be new for me.
I would worry about "scope" for example. Would the OOP RECORDS/OBJECTS etc.
be global ?

How many of you use Perl a lot ?
Chris -  did you say that your moving map + GPS program you
showed us used Perl ?

Best regards.

Geoff