[Malvern] Linux Periodicals.

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Sun Oct 24 21:47:26 BST 2004

Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> writes
>> I bought one issue of Linux Format, and it was so full of technical (and
>> grammatical) inaccuracies that I've never been tempted since.
>>
>Like yourself,  I think it leaves much  to be desired.  There is too much
>dumbing-down  and superfluous eye-candy for me.

Some of us need all the dumbing-down we can get ;/
I tend to buy LXF, as it is the only one WHS regularly stock in Malvern.
For me, it tends to jump between too dumb and too technical - getting
the balance right is evidently not easy.

If eye candy can promote good, free software then bully for eye candy, I
say.

Anyway, after visiting their website regularly the mag itself seems
perfect by comparison ;(

I used to read Linux User/and Developer, but they a) disappeared from
the shelves, and b) decided that I wasn't worth a free subscription.

>> What is it that you want from a Linux magazine?
>>
>Mainly reliable comment,  news,  and well informed technical
>articles/tutorials  and  articles focused  on a useful topic such as
>security,  CUPS,  networking,  programming techniques,  for example.

News and software reviews are my main reasons. I used to buy for the
coverdiscs too, until I got broadband.

>Does anyone else write programmes in Pascal ?

No, but I know a man who does ... . In fact, I know two. Sadly, they are
forced to use Borland for Windows. Though I recently heard Kylix
mentioned.

Cheers,
Guy