[Malvern] How does linux handle IDE channels

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Apr 2 19:46:24 BST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 07:14:46PM +0100, Robin Wilson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply Chris.
>
> Suse 9.2 is installed.
>
> The bootloader is Grub.
>
> Haven't tried the disk in that machine with knoppix - but have in another
> machine and it works fine. The disk is absolutley fine - I have used an OS
> independant disk checking prog and it came out fine.
>
> Does the root partition change?

What Linux calls your hard disk depends on what controller it's connected
to.  The master on the second ide channel

> It used to be hda2 - what will it change to?

The master on the second ide channel will be /dev/hdc instead of /dev/hda

> How do I edit the grub config files?

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst using your favourite text editor.  You should
see a "root=/dev/hda2" option somewhere towards the bottom of the file.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR