[Malvern] Programming Languages

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:46:39 BST 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 09:24:26PM +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Folks
>
> In my research I have come across references to the C programming
> language and it's variants.
>
> Does anyone know what the major differences are between say C, C+, C++,
> C#, etc?
>
> I realise that their must be a historic tree of development and the +
> and # indicates something specific to that branch of the language but
> what is it and does these suffixes also apply to other languages like
> Java (J, J+, J#).

C is a basic systems programming language.  C++ is an object-oriented
extension of this plus a whole bunch of classes/objects to enhance it.
C# is a Microsoft thing which is similar to Java i.e. object oriented.

C is compiled (can be interpreted but this is very unlikely).  C++ is
normally automatically processed into C then compiled.  C# runs on top of
some hardware abstration layer called .net

I'm not sure C+ exists, if it does it's a niche thing.

Hope this helps

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR