[Malvern] Programming Languages

Andy Lowton andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:46:56 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 21:24 +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:

> Does anyone know what the major differences are between say C, C+, C++, C#,
> etc?

Basically "C" came first and is a procedural language like fortran or
pascal. It is the hackers choice and well worth knowing if you want to
start messing about with Unix source code.

C++ is basically a load of extensions to "C" that adds in object
orientated programming. This is a completely different model of
programming and personally I find it quite hard to get my head round it
after years of programming in C, modula-2, pascal etc etc. If you want a
programming job, this is not a bad one to learn.

C# - Never touched it

c+ - Not sure there is such a thing.

These days I mostly use Python and perl cos I don't need to do much low
level stuff.

l8z

andy