[Malvern] Superfluous ports.

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Fri Jan 14 15:53:32 GMT 2005

At 14:18 14/01/2005 +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

>How does one identify and close down superfluous TCP/IP ports,
>if possible,  flagging up warnings if access be attempted ?

Usual way if security is a priority is to start from the other end and
close everything, then open only those ports you absolutely need.  It is a
little more complex than just closing ports though, and you need to check
SYN flags if inspecting packets.  You need to understand the bi-directional
nature of TCP/IP traffic if you're going to port filter, it is quite easy
to misapply rules and get a false sense of security, or to relax
restrictions further than necessary.  Try looking at some of the on-line
scripts on the web if you're planning to set up ipchains or iptables.  I
don't have a reference to any on hand, but maybe someone here knows of
some.  That will help lead you through some of the steps involved.
In your case with a router with NAT applied you have quite a good first
line of defence, no incoming connection packets (with SYN set) will reach
your server unless you instruct the router to forward any specific traffic
to an individual machine.  In fact, except for possibly SMTP mail, you may
not need to allow for any incoming connection.

By closing off all ports except SMTP, and blocking incoming pings, I only
get a steady 100 or so frustrated connection attempts to my SMTP server per
day.  Before pings were blocked, I used to get about 3 times that level.  I
use a combination of router firewall, port filtering, and tcpwrappers to
protect my systems.  I no longer log other connection attempts.  In my
opinion a bigger risk is from inadvertant compromise of machines inside the
secure zone, either from browser exploits or human engineering.

If you meant you just want to stop those services from running that you
don't need then look at netstat and nmap to identify them.  Then close down
the server components either from xinetd or in the startup scripts.  ntsysv
will also probably list some of those services that have been configured on
your machine.  Depending on your documentation it may sometimes take a
little digging to find where to look.  Recent distributions have been much
better in not turning on services by default.

On broadband you will soon get bored looking at all the simple connection
attempts and turn much of the reporting off.

--
Steve