[Malvern] Of iMacs and MessageLabs

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Apr 20 10:44:16 BST 2006

Currently installing Debian onto the iMac Andy generously donated.
Thanks again.

Tried Fedora last night but although it could boot from the CD it
couldn't read it to do the install and kept spitting the disk out. Not fun.
So overnight I grabbed the minimal debian install image and tried that
this morning. Guess what? It could boot from the CD but complained it
couldn't find the files on it to install from  --- same problem!

Debian did however offer a more finely grained set of 'back' options
which let me ask it to try reconfiguring the CD again. Which it managed
successfully.

That solved, it was then harder for me to find a crossover cable than it
was to configure my main box to route internet traffic through its
second network card. I did think to check whether it was a recent enough
machine to not care about cable chirality.

Give it 3 more hours or so and it might be done.

As for the MessageLabs gig tomorrow evening. I know Geoff wants to go,
anyone else?
Geoff, shall we share a car?

Regarding the ultra-fast optics streaming lecture from the Royal Society
discussion last night.
The one I watched is here:
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/page.asp?tip=1&id=3847
To watch it, I selected Microsoft Media Player: High Bandwidth and then
viewed source of that page to find the feed address then fed that
straight into mplayer. In this case:
mplayer mms://193.63.75.9/onDemand/CPL2005_sibbett_hi.wmv

Cheers

Rick