[Malvern] More on LANs

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sun Aug 6 21:41:58 BST 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:34:33PM +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Guys
>
> Can anyone clear up a couple of techy questions I have please?

That's for you to judge ;o)

> Firstly, on a LAN how far can a signal be pushed and maintain the network's
> speed  without regenerating the signal

100m for 100BaseT, 1500m for 10base2 through upto 3 repeaters.

> If you introduce either a hub or switch does this re-generate the sigtnal?

Yes.

> Does the answers to the above change when you use the cabling to provide
> power as well as the signal?  Along the lines of powering VoIP phones.

I'd guess it'll depend on how much power you'd be firing down the spare
pairs.

> And lastly what is the main difference between cat 5 and cat 6 cabling?

I think it's the speed you can run them at.  You need Cat5 for 100baseT and
Cat6 for 1000baseT.

> I would have normally fired these questions off internally at work but due
> to a re-org a couple of months ago those engineers cannot now be
> contacted, on pain of death, by anyone from my organisation!  Don't you
> just love it....

All big companies seem to be full of shit and constantly re-orging and
introducing initiatives.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR