[Malvern] Fedora 4

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 11 10:01:07 GMT 2006

Richard Forster wrote:

> There is a packaging format called RPM, the files end in .rpm

With rpm  you could also check for a package being installed in the
command line  with              rpm -qi
I usually used the command line,  and if I remember,  sometimes YaST.

I got fed up paying for updates when Debian "Woody" came out!

I prefer apt-get  to  aptitude or  synaptic.  dpkg is useful too.

> There is another packaging format whose files end in .deb
> They are broadly functionally similar.
>
> I usually use yum because it involves less typing. No other reason.

Can you use  yum on Debian then?

I think that rpms can be used too, but I still keep to the Debian stuff.

I am getting good plots with gnuplot !

Regards,

See you Wednesday (a week today).

Geoff